Thursday, May 28, 2015

KC

    “Oh”, says Red Molly to James, "That's a fine motorbike
    A girl could feel special on any such like"
    Says James to Red Molly, "My hat's off to you
    It's a Vincent Black Lightning, 1952"

        -From “Vincent Black Lightning” by Richard Thompson


Allow me to introduce KC.

While first and foremost a devoted husband, father, son, uncle, brother-in-law and father -in-law,  KC is a successful business owner, stunt pilot and expert motorcycle and car racer with 37 broken bones, now healed, to show for it.  He's won races at The Daytona International Speedway on both two wheels and four.  Incredibly well read, he is possessed of a photographic memory, can tell you the route numbers on every damn road in the southeast and has NEVER lost at Trivial Pursuits.  He owns a fabulous motorcycle collection (though he claims IT owns him) that includes a pristine Vincent Black Shadow that he acquired from legendary Vincent tuner “Big Sid” Biberman.  KC is a burly Scot who’s no stranger to a bar room brawl, though those days are (thankfully) behind him.   He is generous to a fault but suffers no fools.  He is powerfully smart;  his ethics are beyond reproach.  When it all turns to shit, you want KC on your side.


He is as good a friend as I have ever had and I am delighted that he’s agreed to partner with me on Tour the Rockies.   A lot of this Vision is KC’s and you can expect to hear from him a good bit as this project unfolds.

Here’s the back story on me and KC.

Following my “discovery” in Livingston I began thinking about the experience I was after.  I understood that it was going to require a proper road bike, one that was big enough and powerful enough to haul me and some gear through the mountains.   A road bike that could perform reliably and handle well under difficult conditions. 

Question was...what bike would fit that bill?  I was completely uninformed.

At the time, KC and I were barely acquainted but I knew he could guide me to a starter bike.  He agreed to help, flatly rejecting the first bike I suggested.  But after learning that I had some dirt bike experience, most recently aboard an XR400 through single track trails in the north Georgia woods, he agreed that a Honda ST1300 might work.  So I bought one, took the MSF training class and got my “M” endorsement.  I was legal, but nothing more.

KC offered to accompany me on my first ride and pulled into my driveway on a late model BMW 1200RT wearing a faded Aerostich Roadcrafter suit.  The ride was massively effective at showing both of us how much I had to learn about riding a motorcycle on our twisty north Georgia mountain roads.  On subsequent rides, KC would periodically pull over, draw me close to his helmet and then read me the riot act.  Nothing subtle, but rather, a loud and in my face, “IF YOU DON”T GET OFF THE GODDAMN CENTERLINE IN THESE TURNS YOU”RE GONNA GET KILLED”.   When he’s right, he’s right.









It was equally clear, even to me, how skilled this man was on a motorcycle (try racing a motorcycle at Road Atlanta or Daytona Speedway with no skills).   He would frequently disappear off the front and 10 minutes later I’d see him pulled over, waiting for me.  He rode through the mountain roads without flash, knee dragging or close calls.  Never seeking attention, always smooth, always under control, always safe.  As fast as he wanted to be.

While riding behind him, I studied his cornering technique and followed his line, trying to imitate his braking and acceleration.  Sometimes I’d get close, but mostly he did it way better.  We began riding together regularly and, after four years, I still learn from him on every ride.  KC is my sensei...wipe on, wipe off.


In addition to countless day rides in the Blue Ridge Mountains, we’ve done a number of bike trips together including The Moonshine Lunch Run, the New River Gorge, Bike Week at Daytona and an epic trip (including Lucy and Ethel...more about them later) to Moab, UT. 

KC and I began as riding buddies but our friendship has grown way beyond motorcycles and curvy roads.  I’ve done long motorcycle trips alone, but without KC along I doubt I’d be doing this trip.  

No comments:

Post a Comment