Sunday, September 6, 2015

The Trip Begins: Homer to Lawrence

On the afternoon of Friday, September 4, KC pulled down my long gravel driveway with his Ford F150 and his enclosed trailer and came to rest just outside my garage/workshop (or "the Shrine" as KC calls it).  We loaded War pig, its panniers, my Wolfman duffel bag and all my travel gear onto the trailer and truck.  A couple hours later with all my gear and his bike loaded up, KC pulled out and headed for home.  Looks like this things gonna happen after all!

On Saturday September 5 at 6:00AM I pulled behind KC's barn and parked my SUV.  Since my gear had already been loaded, I simply needed to slide into the truck and buckle up. Within minutes KC and I began gliding down the highway in a westerly direction.  Our vague goal was to make it past Columbia, MO...roughly halfway to Denver.  Given that it was Saturday, even for a Labor Day weekend, the traffic was light and we made great time.  His new truck was a delight to ride in...the front seats are a tour de force of modern automotive engineering offering the passenger the comfort of both air conditioning and endless massage. 





The drive was long and boring...interstate the entire way.  We decided to try to put St. Louis and Kansas City behind us and stop for the night once we were past KC (that's Kansas City...sorry).  Still, when it comes to traveling long distances pulling a trailer, boring is not necessarily a bad thing.

However, things did become interesting when it came to finding lodging. 

We both assumed that hotels would be plentiful, cheap and welcoming.  And we were both wrong.  Whether it was the effect of Labor Day, cheap gas, football Saturday or sun spots...finding a hotel turned out to be dicey and we were forced to drive an extra 50 miles or so.  Ultimately we found a Holiday Inn Express about 12 miles off the interstate near the University of Kansas.  While I can say I spent the night in a Holiday Inn Express I don't feel any smarter...just a bit broker.  How's $202 sound for a hotel in Lawrence KS?

I just learned that KC had a rough night...his room had no A/C.  I would not want to be the hotel clerk when he checks out.  $202 and no A/C...not good.

No comments:

Post a Comment